Thursday, May 20, 2010

Isn't it strange the differences in blogs? Mine is fairly superficial, for the most part. I started a more serious post a couple weeks ago, and have spent some time editing it, but it just isn't coming together. It isn't as though I don't have deep(er) thoughts, I just can't seem to make them into fodder for public.

This morning I read my cousin's first two posts (her's is a new blog as well) and it was all about her inner thoughts. Definitely NOT "I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich" kind of posts. And of course, as I am nearly always want to to do, I started comparing my self to her. And I was shown, once again, that while we may be similar in looks and even personality, our season in life is very different.

How often I have known moms with young kids who would like to have time away from their littles. I was there! I remember! I wish there had been someone there to tell me, "Hang in there and enjoy this time! It's such a short season!" Our message from the world, and even lots of times in the church is that we need more time for ourselves, and while it is necessary to have rechargings, how I wish I hadn't nearly lived for those. If only I could have some of the time back. If only I hadn't spent so much time comparing myself to other, more "free" women. If only I had learned a long time ago what I know now; that in a blink I would have one child leaving for college and one a sophomore and two middle schoolers.

All that leads to another thought...mentoring. As I approach an age where I am starting to feel more qualified to speak, I wish even more I had sought out an admirable woman to ask questions of. I have a wonderful mother, but she is not a believer and that puts things in a very different light. Am I a woman who is approachable to others who are in a season of needing advice? Lord, please let me be. And let me be the kind of mother whose daughters will seek and ask.

2 comments:

  1. This is something I think about a lot. Actually there are a few things here that strike a chord with me:

    Our differing levels of disclosure are good. It's good to remember that one person's private is another person's coffee talk and that we don't know everything about someone just because we read their blog. And it's good to have people who feel comfortable sharing things that I'd find WAY TOO uncomfortable to post, because I'm sure they are ministering to someone!

    And the mentor relationship is a huge issue. As a mom to little children at an age when a lot of my contemporaries have their babies leaving the nest, I am able to see that in some ways it's natural for me to want to encourage younger moms who may be feeling like they need more freedom. But sometimes I do wish (still) that I had someone who's "been there, done that."

    Wonderful post, Cara. Got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post .... it got me thinking too :)
    One of the reasons I like blogging is because it truly is all on MY terms. Whatever I feel led to share, I share it, and if I feel like getting deep or just being shallow, I can!

    ReplyDelete